​​A number of agencies are available to help you through the recovery phase, once the dust settles (so to speak).

Council’s Role
Council’s role during the recovery phase includes:

  • Protection, maintenance and restoration of water and sewerage services
  • Clearance of debris
  • Maintenance of drainage systems 
  • Preservation of public health and hygiene
  • Protection, restoration and maintenance of utility services.

Following flood events, Council undertakes large scale fogging operations to control the increased population of mosquitoes, sand flies and midges.

Community Recovery Centres
During a natural disaster, Community Recovery Centres are established in affected towns to assist residents with emergency financial assistance, Centrelink services, counselling and personal support.

The main objective is to provide prompt evacuation and welfare services such as:

  • Establishment of evacuation centres
  • Registration of evacuees
  • Accommodation
  • Emergency feeding
  • Distribution of bedding
  • Distribution of clothing, if required
  • First aid/health
  • Personal services (support, information, insurance and financial)
  • Financial and welfare/recovery arrangements and services.

Community Recovery Centres often involve many organisations such as Department of Human Services, Lifeline, Red Cross, Salvation Army and St Vincent De Paul Society.

Financial Assistance
A range of financial assistance is often available for individuals and families experiencing personal hardship due to natural disasters. Assistance may also be made available for 'not-for-profit' organisations, small businesses and primary producers.

Specific information on financial assistance will be available from Council’s website and local Community Recovery Centres following a disaster event.

Local community groups often step up and organise donation centres and relief for residents severely affected by disaster events.

Check out the Emergency Volunteering website for information on volunteering around the state.

Residents cleaning out their homes after a natural disaster should check with their insurance provider on the appropriate action to take when photographing evidence of flood damage and disposing of ruined items.

Residents waiting for an insurance assessor before allowing the removal of rubbish are urged to contact their insurance provider and advise them of the obvious health risks posed by having such volumes of garbage in close proximity to residences.

Many insurance agencies will allow photographic evidence of property damage, but it is important to check with your provider before taking action that may forfeit any insurance claims.

Make sure to take photos of damaged belongings to show what you have lost. Keep a record of brands and models for electrical items as well as the manufacturer manuals if possible.

For insurance advice contact the Insurance Council of Australia on 1300 728 228 or visit their webs​ite.

Useful Links