Privacy and Disclaimer
Whilst the information provided is considered to be true and correct at the date of publication, changes in circumstance after the time of publication may impact upon the accuracy of the information. Information may change without notice and Maranoa Regional Council is not in any way liable for the accuracy of any information printed or stored by other persons. Changes are periodically added to the information and Maranoa Regional Council may make amendments or changes to the information at any time.
PROTECTING YOUR PRIVACY
Council is committed to providing you with the highest level of customer service. This includes responsibly managing the personal information you provide to us and protecting your privacy.
Privacy is about protecting the personal information of individuals who interact with Council.
Under the Information Privacy Act 2009, personal information held by Council must be responsibly and transparently collected and managed.
YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Personal information is defined as any information that would allow a person to be identified and may include your name and address, signature, date of birth, current and previous addresses, contact phone numbers, e-mail address, bank account or credit card information.
The information does not have to clearly identify a person. It need only provide sufficient information to lead to the identification of a person. It covers information held in paper or electronic records, including images and sounds.
Providing us with your personal information is important to ensure we provide to you the services you require.
HOW WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
We collect personal information in a number of ways:
- Directly from you – verbal, written or electronic form.
- From other government agencies
- From publicly available sources of information
- From third parties such as government departments
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE HOLD?
We hold a range of information including personal information relevant to conducting business with Council such as your name, address, property details, correspondence and building records.
HOW DO WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We use your personal information to provide the Council services you require, for example to register your animals. We also have legal obligations that require us to use personal information such as rating your property.
HELP US TO ENSURE WE HOLD ACCURATE INFORMATION
Council takes all reasonable precautions to ensure the personal information it collects, uses and discloses is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, the accuracy of that information depends to a large extent on the information you provide. That’s why Council recommends you keep them up-to-date with changes to your personal information.
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
In accordance with the Act, we will not disclose your personal information unless:
- We have obtained your express or implied consent;
- We are required or authorised by law to do so; the information is necessary for Council or a law enforcement agency to perform its functions, duties and activities (including, but not limited to, prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or punishment of criminal offences);
- The disclosure is necessary for research, or the compilation or analysis of statistics in the public interest (in which case your personal information will be de-identified); or
- Council believes that the disclosure is necessary to lessen or prevent a serious threat to the life, health, safety of a person, or to public health, safety or welfare.
STORAGE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Council stores the personal information it collects in secure locations and databases. We take precautions to protect your personal information against loss, and unauthorised access, use, modification, disclosure or other forms of misuse.
Some examples of the safeguards Council uses to protect your personal information include:
- Password protection on Council computers
- Restricted access to Council offices
- Induction and training for Council employees on Council’s information security and confidentiality procedures
- Regular back up of Council databases.
Council also has adopted a document retention program that includes structured destruction components.
YOU CAN ACCESS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Under the Information Privacy Act 2009 you are able to access information held by Council about you by filling in the appropriate form and returning it to Council. There is no application fee for lodging this request.
Further details and application forms are available on our website at Home (maranoa.qld.gov.au) or by calling the Council on 1300 007 662
HOW DO I GET MORE INFORMATION?
If you have any questions or concerns in relation to privacy please contact us:
Maranoa Regional Council
PO Box 620
ROMA QLD 4455
Visit any Customer Service Centre located in: