Building and Plumbing

What Council do

Council provide a building certification service for all classes of buildings and all types of building works, including new work and additions and alterations.

Council is responsible for assessing plumbing and drainage works for compliance and provide a pool safety inspection and certification service by our Registered Pool Safety Inspectors (PSIs).

Do I need building approval?

A building approval is required before carrying out most type of building work. These works typically include structures that are proposed to be built or altered. This approval is required to ensure it will be structurally safe and located appropriately to meet the requirements under the Building Act 1975 and relevant regulations and guidelines. 

The approval process involves assessment by a Building Certifier against the Building Act 1975 and associated regulation and standards, the issuing of a decision notice and subsequently carrying out inspections to ensure compliance.

Building Fact Sheets

Council's building services fact sheets can be downloaded here. 

Building Services Fact Sheets