The Mayor and Councillors are elected by the community to represent the current and future interests of Maranoa.
Collectively, Council in line with their legislative responsibilities are responsible for three key tasks:
- Determine the priorities for Maranoa Regional Council through adoption of strategies such as Council’s Corporate Plan, Operational Plans and Budgets to ensure long term financial sustainability;
- Make decisions through formal Council meetings for the benefit of the whole region and overall public interest;
- Develop and adopt policies to help ensure consistency of decision making for the same type of matters and provide officers with an approved method of dealing with processes.
Council is in the process of developing a Community Engagement framework which will provide a framework around the provision of high quality leadership and accountability for the community.
It also recognises that decision making is enhanced through interaction and communication with the community.
To connect with the community and seek out opinions, Councillors engage in a variety of forums, including:
- Contact with residents through Councillor Portfolios
- Representation on community committees
- Representation on Council committees
Participation and presence at events and leisure activities
- Attendance at town community group meetings
- Conducting visits to rural towns and communities (Councillors Out and About sessions)