Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Queen’s Baton Relay is coming to the Maranoa this March!
Our region’s 39 batonbearers will take part in the Relay in Roma on Wednesday, 7 March and Mitchell on Thursday, 8 March.
Mayor Tyson Golder said as the time draws closer to the commencement of the Commonwealth Games, excitement is building across the country.
“As our towns of Roma and Mitchell are lucky enough to have the Baton visit, we encourage residents to line the streets of the route on the days to get a good look at the Baton and be part of these rare and joyous celebrations,” Cr Golder said.
“A feather in the cap for the Maranoa, this truly is an incredibly special, once in a lifetime event. You’ll always remember where you were when the Queen’s Baton came to town!”
ROMA – WEDNESDAY, 7 MARCH
Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Queen’s Baton will arrive on Wednesday, 7 March and then travel to the Adungadoo Pathway where there will be a Welcome to Country Ceremony at the Yarning Circle at 3.25pm.
Watch and cheer on the Queen’s Baton from 3.35pm while it travels along the Adungadoo Pathway and up McDowall Street, stopping briefly at the South West Region TAFE Queensland. The Baton will continue on to the Roma Cultural Centre, with a fun event for all to welcome its arrival!
5pm – 7pm
VENUE CHANGE - Roma Cultural Centre - Auditorium
From 5pm there will be entertainment for the whole family to enjoy at the Roma Cultural Centre! Entertainment will include live music and a concert by the St John’s Choir as well as a variety of food stalls. With face painting and a jumping castle for the kids, it will be an event the whole family can enjoy.
The Baton will arrive at the Roma Cultural Centre at 5.30pm. Head on down and celebrate with the community!
MITCHELL – THURSDAY, 8 MARCH
The Baton will travel west from Roma to Mitchell on Thursday, 8 March. The Relay in Mitchell will begin at 11am at Mitchell State School, travelling on Ann Street, Dublin Street and Elizabeth Street. Guests are invited to line the streets and watch the Queen’s Baton travel around the town, finishing on Warrego Highway at Sophia Street before travelling on to its next destination, Morven.
9.00am – 10.15am
VENUE CHANGE - P
Come to Mitchell’s Memorial Park from 9am to celebrate the GC2018 Queen’s Baton Relay coming to Mitchell! A morning of festivities, there will be a blade shearing demonstration, Indigenous dance, as well as drumming and school performances. Mitchell Bakery will have lamingtons to give away and Bonus Downs will be onsite with a live demonstration making billy tea and damper.
A BBQ sausage sizzle and drinks will also be available for purchase.
For more information, please contact Council’s Local Development Officers for Roma and Mitchell on 1300 007 662.
Check out who will be carrying the Baton past your home at https://www.gc2018.com/qbr.
Maranoa Regional Council would like to advise residents of temporary road closures as part of the upcoming Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Queen’s Baton Relay being held in Roma on Wednesday, 7 March 2018 and in Mitchell on Thursday, 8 March 2018.
To allow the Baton and vehicle convoy to travel safely through Roma and Mitchell, roads will be closed for short periods of time (15 – 20 minutes) in Roma between 3.30pm and 5.30pm (Wednesday, 7 March) and between 11am and 12 noon (Thursday, 8 March) in Mitchell.
The Warrego Highway in Mitchell will be closed to all traffic for approximately 50 minutes from 11am (Thursday, 8 March). Motorists travelling through Mitchell are advised to avoid the area during this time.
During the Relay, every effort will be made to minimise disruption to residential access where possible, however it is expected that access may be temporarily affected.
Traffic control will be in place to direct motorists while the Baton travels through both towns. Where required, motorists will be able to make their way around town with only minor delays.
Temporary road closures - Roma:
- Riggers Road (Warrego Highway intersection)
- Warrego Highway (Riggers Road and Tiffin Street intersections)
- Tiffin Street (Warrego Highway and McDowall Street intersections)
- McDowall Street (Major Street, Lewis Street, Edwardes Street, Gregory Street, Charles Street, Wyndham Street, Arthur Street, Hawthorne Street, Carnarvon Highway, Feather Street and Alfred Street intersections)
- Queen Street (Alfred Street, Feather Street, Albert Street, May Street, William Street and Saunders Street intersections)
- Timbury Street (Queen Street, Saunders Street and Cottell Street intersections)
- Cottell Street (Timbury Street, Parker Street and Bowen Street intersections)
- Bowen Street (Cottell Street, Whip Street, Duke Street, Soutter Street, Spencer Street and Feather Street intersections)
- Feather Street (Bowen Street and Mayne Street intersections)
- Mayne Street (Feather Street, Carnarvon Highway, Hawthorne Street and Arthur Street intersections)
- Arthur Street (Mayne Street, Station Street, Bowen Street, McDowall Street and Bungil Street intersections)
- Bungil Street (Arthur Street, Hawthorne Street and Carnarvon Highway intersections)
In addition, access to parking around the Big Rig, PCYC, TAFE and the Community Hub in Roma will also be temporarily affected throughout the day leading up to and during the event.
Temporary road closures - Mitchell:
- Cambridge Street/Warrego Highway (Sophia Street, Caroline Street, Ann Street, Alice Street, Mary Street and Elizabeth Street intersections)
- Elizabeth Street (between Cambridge Street and Dublin Street)
- Dublin Street (Elizabeth Street, Mary Street, Alice Street and Ann Street intersections)
- Ann Street (between Dublin Street and Cambridge Street)
In addition, access to parking around the Mitchell State School will also be temporarily affected throughout the morning leading up to and during the event.