« Back

Important information about backyard burning

Maranoa Regional Council would like to remind residents of the Local Law related to lighting of fires in residential areas.

Lighting a fire

Under Council's Local Law you cannot light a fire that:

•      Is not enclosed in a fireplace that is constructed to prevent the escape of fire or any burning material.

•      Could cause irritation (smoke or fumes), annoyance or distress to others.

•      Could be a risk to people or property.

Burning off

Any fires bigger than 2x2m in diameter require a permit.

You can obtain a permit for burning off (such as on vacant land or on a road reserve), from your local Fire Warden, Queensland Fire & Emergency Services (QFES) Rural Fire Service (except where the fire is not permitted under Local Laws).

Only dry vegetation can be burned off. All other material such as tyres, plastics, rubber etc. must be disposed of at your waste transfer station.

Permits to light fires are free of charge and need to be registered on a permit hotline number.

If you would like to find the contact for the Fire Warden in your area, please visit https://www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/Pages/fw_finder.aspx (Fire Warden Finder).

Alternatively, please contact the team at the QFES/ Rural Fire Service, Roma area office on 4578 0045 or e-mail RFSQ.Roma@qfes.qld.gov.au for any other fire related enquiries.

In case of a fire emergency or other emergencies, please always call Triple Zero (000).

Cooking fire

You can light a fire, such as a barbecue for cooking purposes or heating in winter time but you must make sure the fire cannot escape, and does not cause excessive smoke, irritation or annoyance to others.


When investigating complaints about smoke and fumes Council considers:

•      The amount of smoke or fumes being emitted.

•      The location and purpose of the fire.

•      Feedback from neighbours and those making a complaint.


Council has the ability to issue an on the spot fine of $652 to anyone lighting a fire that does not comply with Local Laws.

Please contact Council’s  Environment, Health, Waste & Rural Land Services on 1300 007 662 or Environmental.Health@maranoa.qld.gov.au if you have any questions or to report a problem.