Maranoa Regional Council is currently undertaking a full review of our community and local plans in the areas of industry, tourism, arts, culture, sport and recreation.
Australia Day 2018 Award Nominations
Do you know someone in your community whose achievements deserve to be recognised?
My Maranoa App
List your business, community group or event on My Maranoa for free!
A message for the future - Roma's Time Capsule to be placed Wednesday
Maranoa Regional Council invites residents to attend the ceremony for the placement of Roma’s Time Capsule as the final celebration of 150 Years of Local Government in Roma at Roma Cultural Centre on Wednesday, 13 September 2017 at 12pm.
The time capsule will be opened on the 200 year anniversary of local government in Roma on 10 August 2067.
It will contain a number of significant items donated by Council and the community, including:
- Letter to the Mayor and Councillors who will open the capsule in 50 years’ time
- The event program, photos and newspaper clippings of the celebrations
- 150 Years of Mayors in Roma book
- In Champagne Country (and addendum)
- Maranoa Regional Council Annual Report 2015/16
- 2017 uncirculated coin set, next generation $5 note and stamp minisheet
- Seed pods from Roma’s biggest bottle tree
- Menu from Irish McGanns at the Queen’s Arms (Roma’s oldest pub)
- Roma & District Family History Society Inc. photo, business card and brochure
- Roma Historical Motor Club Inc. badge and brief history of the club
- Photo of current Mayor and Councillors
- USB containing historical photos of Roma
- Winning entries of the student artwork competition
- Commemorative certificate for the baby born in Roma closest to the anniversary.
Councillor Cameron O’Neil, Portfolio Chair for Events said this is a fantastic way to end the celebration of 150 years of local government in Roma.
“All residents are welcome to attend and take part in this historic moment for Roma,” Cr O’Neil said.
Light refreshments will be served following the ceremony.
For further information please contact Maranoa Regional Council on 1300 007 662.
Maranoa Regional Council is proud to partner with Roma & District Family History Society Inc. and other community groups for this celebration.