No current Promotions
Being physically active is an important part of leading a healthy lifestyle. Getting started or finding the right activity for you might seem daunting, so it’s important to find something that you enjoy. It doesn’t have to be a strenuous activity, in fact, research has shown that simply reducing the time spent sitting each day can reduce the risk of health problems.
Be Healthy & Safe Maranoa has some great activities and ideas to get you moving more and sitting less.
Take the challenge to keep active and healthy, while socialising and enjoying the outdoors.
The benefits of being physically active are endless!
- Reduce your risks of chronic disease such as diabetes, heart disease, obesity and some cancers
- Help to maintain a healthy weight
- Help manage stress and anxiety
- Feel happier and reduce the symptoms of depression
- Relieve the pain of tension headaches
- Improve sleep
- Help strengthen bone density
- Assist in efforts to stop smoking
- Help reduce short-term memory loss in older individuals
- Reduce medical and healthcare expense
- Improve posture
|Heart Foundation Walking|
Heart Foundation Walking is a fun, social and easy way to be active and best of all it's free! Heart Foundation Walking is Australia's largest network of community based walking groups with over 17,000 active members. Groups are led by volunteer Walk Organisers and new groups start regularly.
Heart Foundation Walking groups walk along Roma's Adungadoo Pathway three times a week. To encourage regular participation, the Heart Foundation includes a Walker Recognition Scheme. At certain walking milestones, you will be rewarded with certificates and discounts on Heart Foundation merchandise.
Different fitness levels and ages are welcome!
When: Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 8am - 9am
Where: Adungadoo Pathway, Shady's Lagoon, Roma
Interested in starting or joining a Heart Foundation Walking group? Contact the Maranoa Area Coordinator Kathy Morrow on 4624 2719 or visit the Heart Foundation Walking website for more information.
Tai Chi is a gentle form of exercise for mind and body with big benefits to general health and overall feelings of wellness. Originating from China as a martial art, Tai Chi is great for balance and body awareness and while it won’t leave you breathless, it addresses the key components of fitness (muscle strength, flexibility, balance and to a lesser degree, aerobic conditioning).
A great option for people of all ages and fitness levels, whether it’s for the physical benefits or mental clarity to help you deal with the stressors of everyday life.
When: Friday at 2pm
Where: Seniors Citizens Hall
Bungil Street, Roma
Cost: Gold coin
Water Based Tai Chi
When: Tuesday at 2pm
Where: Denise Spencer Memorial Pool
142 McDowall Street, Roma
Cost: Pool entry fee
Bookings are not necessary. For more information contact Kathy Morrow at the Nuriyn Wellness Centre on 4624 2719.
|Outdoor Exercise Equipment|
The Maranoa is home to a full range of outdoor exercise equipment, with fitness stations along trails and walking paths in six towns. From simple, static equipment for chin-ups and sit-ups, to interactive and moveable equipment proving cardio, flexibility and strengthening benefits.
This equipment is suitable for a wide range of ages and abilities and is great for first time fitness through to an intense workout.
Find outdoor exercise equipment in your local area:
|Lagoon Walk|| |
|Mitchell:||RSL Combined Sports Club||Wallumbilla:||Memorial Hall |
|Roma:||Adungadoo Pathway |
Roma Community Garden
|Yuleba:||Garth Cox Park |
Check out the new Be Healthy & Safe Maranoa eBook with expert exercise tips and instructional videos featuring locals from the Maranoa!
There are a number of public swimming pools throughout the Maranoa - check the opening hours for your local swimming pool!
- Healthier. Happier - fitness videos, tips and tricks to getting moving
- Department of Health - Australia's Physical Activity and Sedentary Behaviour Guidelines
- Physical Activity Australia
- 10,000 Steps - sign up and start counting your steps each day.
- H&F Age Challenge - developed by Queensland Health as part of the Healthier.Happier. campaign. This app helps people of all shapes and sizes do simple, everyday activities to improve the way they look and feel. You’ll get reminders, tips and facts about the areas you need to focus on. Track your progress as part of the 4 Week Challenge and beyond.
- Just Start Walking - your mobile walking friend! Track your walks via GPS, log your walking history, share your walks with friends online and find walking events in your local area. You can choose to make a walking pledge to help make walking a regular part of your life.
- My Fitness Pal - set your daily energy intake goal and record your daily food and exercise to make sure you stay on track. Log your food and exercise from anywhere, at any time.
- iStepLog - allows members of the 10,000 Steps program to easily record their daily physical activity and sync it with their online step log
- MapMy Walk & MapMyRun - built to help runners, joggers and walkers of all ability levels and ages. Fitness tracking apps that allow you to use the GPS in your mobile to track all of your fitness activities. Record your workout details, including duration, distance, pace, calories burned, and route travelled on an interactive map.
- Couch to 5K - get off the couch and get running with the Couch to 5K training app from Active.com! Spend just 20 to 30 minutes, three times a week, for nine weeks, and you’ll be ready to finish your first 5 kilometre run.