Animal Control Animal Control

Animal ControlOwning a pet can provide great companionship however deciding to become a pet owner also means you take on responsibilities not only towards your pet, but to other community members in a way that the animal is controlled and behaves.

A well loved and trained animal is not likely to become a nuisance to any person. Both Council and residents have responsibilities to ensure pets and humans can live in harmony.

Responsibilities of Council

Authorised officers are appointed by Council to control animal management issues within the region.

Such officers are authorised to:

  • Seize and impound animals wandering at large.
  • Declare dangerous dogs.
  • Investigate complaints including nuisance and dog attacks.
  • Issue notices and fines (SPER) to identified non-compliant animal keeper/carer.
  • Issue destruction orders in accordance with Local Law/Legislation.
  • Entry onto land in certain circumstances.
  • Educate community member through special events, education material, school visits.

Responsibilities of the Owner/Carer

  • If your dog is three months or older, it must be registered with the local government of the area.
  • Cat registration is not mandatory, however it is encouraged.
  • All cats and dogs over 12 weeks of age must be microchipped.
  • Your animal is not to create a nuisance to others, such as barking and/or behaviour that may cause fear to a person or another animal.
  • Your animal must not wander off your land without being under a persons effective control.
  • You must walk your animal on a lead when in a public place.
  • If your animal defecates in a public place you must clean up and dispose of in a sanitary manner.
  • Ensure the general welfare of your animal at all times.
  • Microchip appropriately if you are selling or giving your animal to another person.


After hours emergency animal control situations are to be reported on 1300 007 662. Please note this phone number is strictly for after hours emergencies only i.e. aggressive dogs, restrained wandering dogs, dog attacks and roaming stock in the town area.

All complaints relating to other situations such as barking dogs, unrestrained wandering dogs etc will be dealt with on the next working day.


Complaints can be submitted via Council's customer service centres on:
P: 1300 007 662
In person: At your nearest customer service centre.

For more information, visit:

  • ​​ - Biosecurity Queensland, a service of the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries, is the government's lead agency for animal welfare activities in Queensland. They develop, monitor and enforce animal welfare policy, legislation and standards, and educate the community about animal welfare.​
  • - Information regarding Animal welfare complaints and how to report them.
  •​ - ​​Department of Environment and Heritage Protection cares for nuisance, sick, injured and orphaned wildlife and relocate them to other areas. ​​
  • - BooBook are local consultants and experienced in ecology, species identification, trapping and handling native wildlife and environmental management.
  • - The RSPCA is a community based charity that works to prevent cruelty to animals by actively promoting their care and protection. The Maranoa does not have a lo​cal center however, resources can be viewed and services accessed from the webpage.
  • - The rules for animals in outdoor dining areas are outlined under the Queensland Food Act 2006. Visit Queensland Health website.​